Various nationalized banks in India offer loans to students for education. The terms and conditions, requirement of security deposit and guarantors etc. are as follows.
- Payment of course fees
- Purchase of books, equipments, instruments, uniforms.
- Payment of hostel fees, examination fees, study tours, package expenses (for abroad) etc.
Graduation, post-graduation including technical/ professional courses with employment potential, conducted by colleges/Universities approved by UGC/ Govt /AICITE /Dept. of Electronics/ Indian Medical Council, Autonomous institution like IIT, IIM, etc.
For studies, job-oriented technical/professional courses (Graduation/Post Graduation)
Quantum of finance:
- Need based
- Maximum Rs. 7.50 Lacs for studies within India
- Maximum Rs. 15.00 Lacs. For Studies abroad
Up to Rs. 4 lacs: Nil
Above Rs. 4 lacs: Studies in India 5%
: Studies Abroad 15 %
Loan shall be given jointly with parent / guardian Assignment of future income of the student, Upto Rs. 4.00 lacs no security, above Rs, 4.00 lacs and up to Rs. 7.50 lacs (for meritorious students in respect of higher education / professional courses) satisfactory third party guarantees to be extended, wherever required.
For others collateral security equal to up to 100% of the loan amount.
Rate of Interest:
Upto Rs. 4.00 lacs-presently 10.75% per/annum, above Rs. 4.00 lacs presently 11.75% per annum. Simple interest is charged during the period of study. 0.5% concession allowed where interest is charged during the period of study. 0.5% concession allowed where interest is serviced during study period.
Commences one year after completion of the courses or six months after getting an employment, whichever is earlier. Loan with interest to be repaid in equated monthly installments within 5 to 7 years.
Documents to be submitted:
- Date of Birth / Age proof certificate
- Marks Cards 10th and 12th STD issued by Board / University.
- Migration Certificate issued by Board / University.
- Transfer Certificate issued by school / College last studied.
- Conduct / Character Certificate issued by School / College last studied.
- Proof of admission from the educational institution.
- Schedule of expenses issued by the educational institution.
- Passport size photograph (6 copies)
- Proof of residence (Voters ID card, Passport, Driving License, etc.)
- Proof of income (Parent / Guardian)
- Mortgage documents wherever required.
Loans extended by the Bank branch nearest to the place of permanent residence of the parent. Loans disbursed directly to the Institution/hostel authorities in stages based on requirements.
Check list for study loan:
- Documents to be submitted along with application for bank loan:
- Marks sheet of the qualifying examination for school or college.
- Copies of letters confirming scholarship, studentship, etc.
- Proof of admission to the course.
- Schedule of course expenses.
- Two passport size photos of the borrower/guarantor.
- A copy of foreign exchange permit (if applicable)
- The borrower's bank account statement for the last six months.
- Proof of residence.
- Income-tax assessment orders not more than two years old and bank statement of assets and liabilities of the borrower.
- Salaried person has to show the latest salary slip with all deductions.
For further details contact the nearest branch of any of these banks in your area.