Government Polytechnic, Nagpur, was founded on July, 1914. At its commencement the school had 16 students on roll. The institution has given to Engineering College presently known as VNIT Nagpur, as well as Government Medical College (GMC), Nagpur. The total intake capacity of all programmes is 860 students (1st shift 680 & 2nd shift 180). The premises of this institute is spread over 22 acres of land with good infra - structure facilities like well equipped laboratories, Computer centre, conference hall, Audio - Visual Room, Community Hall, Gymnasium, Good play ground etc. Accommodation for 180 boys, 54 girls & 20 trainees is also available in the campus. Government of Maharashtra awarded academic autonomy to this institute in the year of 1995. Staff development cell is established to organize training programmes for faculty members & supporting staff all over the state. Networking & Internet service, computerized Library services to staff & students are provided. Boys & Girls hostel is facilitated with Broadband internet. The institute generates revenue every year (around Rs.1.25 crore) through Continuing Education Programmes, Consultancy, Testing, Hiring of facilities etc. & plans to enhance it in near future. The World Bank Assisted project was implemented at this institute from 1994 to 1999 for improvement of quality of technician education. Canada - India Institute Industry Linkage Project was implemented in the institute from 2000 - 2004. The institute was awarded World Bank assisted technical education quality improvement programme (TEQIP) & received Rs. 2.55 crore for improvement of education, Networking of institute & services to community. This institute received ISTE Monjee award for overall best performance in the year 1996 & best polytechnic award of Government of Maharashtra in the year of 1997. The institute is marching towards centre of Excellence, which means performing high, offering academic service of excellent quality to both regular students as well as working personnel form industry.