PG in UK
The quality of higher education in the UK is maintained by government-supported agencies and stringent assessment mechanisms. It awards qualifications that are internationally accepted. So wherever students eventually live or work, employers and society in general value their achievement. Each year, over 185,000 international students study at the postgraduate level in the UK.
- A wide range of courses and programmes ensures specialization in most subject areas
- Availability of courses at all postgraduate levels – Master’s doctorate and diploma – provide a wide choice, be it at the advanced or intermediate levels
- A wide variety of institutions allow students to follow their programme in the environment of their choice
- Intensive courses that reduce the costs of both fees and living expenses, making education more affordable
- Scholarships and fellowships available for may courses giving meritorious students without means an opportunity to pursue their desired programme
- A wide variety of delivery methods: full/part-time and distance learning, allowing students to follow a programme in a manner and pace that sults them
- Strong research base: the UK produces about nine percent of the world’s papers and receives about 10% of the world’s citations. It ranks second to the US in terms of volume and second among G8 nations in terms of research quality in most subject areas, providing students an access to up-to-date knowledge, led by some of the leading professors and researchers in their field.
- Strong links between the academia and industry: much postgraduate study is directly relevant to the industry requirements, thus improving career prospects of students
Courses and Qualifications:
Postgraduate foundations programmes: These are aimed at international students who did their first degree outside the UK and wish to pursue a postgraduate course in the UK. They are also suited to students who require a substantial amount of English language tuition to bring them up to the level required for postgraduate studies and for students who need to refresh their study/research skills. The duration of these courses is from six to nine months.
- Diplomas and certificates: PGCE, PG Diploma, PG certificate. The title of a diploma or certificate normally includes the actual subject, for example, postgraduate diploma in management studies
- Master’s degree (MA, MSc, LLM, MEd and others)
- Research Masters (MRes) is specifically designed to train students in research as a preparation for a PhD or for a research-related career in the industry.
- It has been introduced in many institutions in recent years and differs from a taught Master’s in its strong focus on the development of research skills.
Next Week: Know more about research degrees in the UK.
For More Scholarship Related Queries,
Mobile: +91 9811626380
Phone: +91-11-22378630; +91-11-22378631